We are more in control when we…
- Organize our time and have clear goals.
- Optimize our health, particularly through getting enough sleep.
- Understand what we can realistically expect from children at different ages.
- Genuinely accept and understand a child’s feelings.
- Help children to name and tame their emotions.
- Manage our anger.
- Do not criticize, compare, attack or label the child’s personality and character.
- Praise by describing what we see and feel.
- Cherish the moments.
By controlling ourselves, the child feels comfortable opening up and talking about feelings, thoughts, fears and dreams.
Key to being able to control ourselves is to know ourselves, our fears and our triggers. Taking a personality quiz may help in this self discovery.